Thursday, June 15, 2006

David vs. Goliath

I think we all have a tendency to look at something difficult and then walk away from it. It could be a problem that we're directly facing, or it might be something so complex that even if we were to solve our own problem, it would only be a matter of time before it re-emerges. Growing up, we always had someone with more experience to tell us which way to go. But when someone is forced to engage a difficult task and those helpful individuals are not around, the person's character is truly tested. Consider the following stereotypical conversation between an engineer and his manager.

Engineer: There's no way I can finish this in 3 weeks. I need 4.
Manager: If I extend your time-frame now, it would push everything else out.
Engineer: I just don't see how it is possible.
Manager: It's just one week. Have you challenged yourself to get it done in 3 weeks?

At this point, I believe the engineer has two good responses available to him. He either says, "No, I have not" or "I've done the calculations and they clearly indicate a minimum 4 weeks." If the engineer has not challenged himself, this is the time to do so. Otherwise, the manager should recognize the integrity of the engineer's calculations and seek viable alternatives (without firing the engineer).

All in all, I think it takes a person of character to stare a challenge in the face. Just as David slew Goliath, sometimes we have to change something about ourselves in order to achieve something important to us. If we put forth 100% effort and fail, it doesn't mean that we didn't want to succeed. Maybe we just weren't capable of it, but at least we can work on improving our skills and abilities so we'll be better prepared next time. The real tragedy is when we merely stand with our hands on our sides, shake our heads, and walk away, because it reflects how little we valued the goal in the first place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure David would not have beat Goliath if he had one of his hands tied behind his back. I think instead of asking the engineer to challenge himself, the correct question the manager should ask is "How can I help you in overcoming this challenge and get r done?"
David won because God was on his side. An engineer can succeed if he has a helpful manager on his side. Note: I am not implying that managers are as powerful as God, but you get the drift.

7:09 PM  
Blogger P-J To said...

Good point, Anonymous! If David could only use one hand, there's no way he could have loaded the slingshot with the stone that eventually ended up in Goliath's big head. And without God behind him, David would've lasted only minutes in a fight. All the same, a project team consists not only of engineers, architects, and leads, but also a manager. We often find that the people on the floor are so achievement-oriented that management stays out. During a staff development meeting, I commented that sometimes I feel like I'm digging a big hole with a spoon...maybe two. A team succeeds when everyone succeeds.

FYI, Scripture says that Goliath measured 6 cubits in height. Translated into U.S. units: 9.5 feet! I think David might have been just under 6 feet. But check out the difference! Praise God!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home