Wednesday, March 15, 2006

First time at Fry's Electronics

I understand why my uncle loves going to Fry's Electronics (and why my cousin absolutely hates them).

I found a deal for CD labeling kits on their Web site, so I thought I'd pay them a visit. The store is enormous! They even have their own street and in-store cafe! I guess you'd need the cafe; you can work up an appetite playing in there.

First thing I asked myself, are the label kits in CDs, Computers, or Paper? Took me 5 minutes to find them...between Paper and Computers. :-P Worse, they weren't where the shelf label said they were, but on the next shelf over.

(Moral #1: don't ever try to find stuff on your own at Fry's)

OK, onto the replacement USB cable for my iriver music player. USB accessories, Audio, MP3 accessories, or Computers? The lady in Audio pointed me to computers, the guy in Computers directed me to audio, and the guy in audio pointed me to MP3 accessories. Needless to say, the dude in MP3 said Fry's didn't have the part. :(

While I was in Audio, I saw an FM transmitter and thought, hey, my new car probably won't have a tape player or MP3 port, so I'll need this to play my MP3s! I picked one up for $24.99.

(Moral #2: Fry's knows how to lure even less-compulsive buyers.)

Customers are pretty friendly too. This customer in computers was asking an associate if Fry's had PCMCIA to USB adapters. The Fry-guy didn't know what that was, and having just passed something that looked like it, I pointed out to the customer what I thought he wanted. It wasn't exactly it, but after talking to him all I could say was that those parts were hot like 8 years ago. Then in cables, another dude asked me about connecting his flat-panel TV to his computer. Hey, if I don't make it as a programmer, maybe I can ask Fry's for a job!

(Moral #3: don't undermine customers' willingness to ask other customers for help)

Finally, I went in line to check out. Now Fry's has one of those queues with all sorts of goodies. It was almost dinner time and those Pepperidge Farm cookies looked SOOOO GOOOD! I resisted and walked on, but then NESTLE CRUNCH WITH CARAMEL!! awwwww......

No! Must resist!

TGI Friday's Spicy Potato Strips....

No-oo-ooo-oo!

I'm not a compulsive buyer...but dang it, Fry's! You're going to make me max out my credit cards if I keep on coming back.

Fry's is the DEVIL!! ;)

13401 Crossroads Parkway North
City of Industry, CA
91746
(562) 463-2400

From the 60 Freeway, exit Crossroads Parkway, about 1/2 mile east of the 605.

Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home