Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Accents

Thought I should clarify some of the reasons for yesterday's posting about my accent, so that my readers won't take away the wrong idea.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was "ganging up" on the N&C guy in my last post. Truth is, I still love going to N&C. Their food is great and the employees are super-nice. I wouldn't be all MEAN or RUDE by asking for a receipt or asking to repeat the order back once. At Taco Bell they do it anyway, so that wouldn't even be necessary. And if one time they give me food from the other side of the world, it's OK. I was only trying to add a little "melodrama" to the situation. It's a blog, after all! What's wrong with a little spicy emotion every now and then?

On a larger scale, I think it's fair to say that Midwesterners have a distinct accent in the eyes of Californians. I mean, we beach-dwellers aren't accustomed to hearing "y'all" and "fi-ayne" (fine) except on TV. Similarly, I suspect Midwesterners have some adjusting to do when they don't hear those things from me. I'm all about "kewl" and "wassup dawg" and whateva yo! I love accents. Believe me, I do so much that I've been known to imitate a few accents here and there. :-)

I guess I missed that I have always had a somewhat unique listening EXTRAbility. Sometimes I take it for granted and forget that my neighbors have different abilities. Maybe they're not super-incredible listeners, but rather are stellar video-gamers, storytellers, or computer programmers!

"Be careful when you turn here! There's a lot of talent in this car...and PJ!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home