Monday, January 08, 2007

This looked so darn CUTE

I treated myself to dim sum last Saturday in Overland Park, KS. Bo Ling's, on 91st and Metcalf, is one of those few places where Asians congregate. Filipino, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian--a real mix that is hard to find anywhere else. But there's only one thing more familiar about this place than the mix of Asians--dating couples. Case in point: last weekend, I sat near this Asian fellow sitting next to a young European lady. Across from the guy was his mother, and across from (what I presume to be) his date was his father. The young couple was around my age. They probably met in college (KU, UMKC, or JCCC) or at their place of work. The guy was sort of the go-between for his parents and his date, although his parents spoke and understood English quite well. The guy took turns telling stories in English and (possibly) Mandarin. I really like it when parents go out and try something amazing to impress their company. When the guy's dad started speaking Spanish, the girl was amazed.

Girl: "Where did you learn Spanish?"

Father: "I learned it from some guys at my work"

Girl: "Wow, that's awesome!"

Later on, they started teaching this girl how to count/write in Mandarin. I could barely stay focused on my lunch, watching these folks have so much fun together. It's amazing when you see the blending of races in such a friendly fashion. The girl was trying hard to make a good impression with the guy's parents, and he was trying real hard to get his parents to open up to the girl. The effort was unnecessary; the parents looked so happy knowing that their beloved son found a girl that makes him happy and can be happy with.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty good! :-)

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home