Saturday, June 25, 2005

BBQ-powered Saturday

Today I went with a bunch of my co-workers from IBM to Day 2 of the Great Kansas BBQ Championships in Lenexa! The weather was super hot! Man, it's good we found shade. We sampled awesome barbecue chicken, pork, beef, and sausage. People here like it spicy.

It's true that people here have a great sense of humor. One guy was showing off his BBQ sauce called "R-M-T" which stands for "Rub Me Tender." And there was a picture of Elvis on the label. :-) Plus, some of the banners had some really "strange" messages on them.

I. B. M. - I Burnt Mine

3 Guys with Wood

Butt Rubbers

Others were just plain sick, as you see here....

We rub our meats until they smoke
(I thought this was a family event???)

Nobody beats our meats better than we do

Master Basters: We rub our own meat

I never knew I'd have this much fun at a food festival. Without my friends there, I would have been bored out of my mind. We hung around--and I finally took pictures! WOOHOO! I'll upload them tomorrow morning when my camera batteries recharge.

Does anyone have a Kodak digital camera? Is my camera the only one that sucks life out of the batteries like the stomach flu?

We left at 3:30 to rest at our apartments, then we shot pool at the local AMF Lanes bowling center. It was great fun for all--experienced and newbie. I think they went to the movies afterward, but I called it a night. Too hungry. Hey, BBQ is filling, but it doesn't last forever. At least I wish it did. :-)

Tomorrow is laundry and church. Big change of pace compared to today's excitement.

Mood: Good

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are all the competitors from Kansas? Geez, those messages on the banners are really something. I wonder what the people from Holy Trinity have to say about that!
Mom (*{*)

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home